Subject to legal and contractual requirements, you may refuse or withdraw your consent to certain of the identified purposes at any time by contacting us at the contact information provided below. If you refuse or withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide you or continue to provide you with certain services or information which may be of value to you.
What Personal Information Do We Collect?
Canadian privacy legislation defines “Personal Information” broadly as information about an identifiable individual or as information that allows an individual to be identified. For the purposes of this policy, Personal Information means information about an identifiable individual as defined from time to time in applicable privacy legislation.
Generally speaking, Personal Information does not include what is considered business contact information: your name, title or position, business address, telephone number, facsimile number or e-mail address.
The types of Personal Information that M. G. Michaels & Associates may collect about you includes your name, home address, telephone number, personal e-mail address, billing and account information, information about a client’s legal issue and other information incidental to providing legal advice and services (including Personal Information about witnesses, family members, beneficiaries, directors, officers, employees, adverse parties, parties-in-interest, investigators, decision-makers, experts, other professional advisors and our clients’ business partners, investors, shareholders, competitors and customers whom are individuals).
Why Do We Collect Your Personal Information?
In general, M. G. Michaels & Associates collects, uses and discloses Personal Information about our clients and service providers in order to provide our clients with professional legal services. More specifically, we collect, use and disclose your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- To establish and manage client relationships, provide legal advice, perform legal services, fulfill legal duties, and avoid conflicts of interest;
- To share Personal Information to and from third parties for the purpose of providing legal services. Such third parties may include opposing parties; parties in interest; opposing, foreign and other counsel and advisors; witnesses; decision-makers; and experts;
- To consider whether M. G. Michaels & Associates should establish a commercial relationship with clients, suppliers and other third parties, including to evaluate credit standing and to match credit bureau or credit reporting agency information;
- To establish and maintain commercial relationships with clients, suppliers and other third parties, including to issue invoices, administer accounts, collect and process payments, and to fulfill contractual obligations;
- To understand and respond to client, supplier and other third party needs and preferences, including to contact and communicate with such parties and to conduct surveys, research and evaluations;
- To develop, enhance, market, sell or otherwise provide M. G. Michaels & Associates’ products and services;
- To market, sell or otherwise provide products and services of third parties with whom M. G. Michaels & Associates has a commercial relationship;
- To distribute our newsletters, blog entries or other material to individuals on our mail and e-mail lists, including via third party mailing houses and e-mail service providers;
- To develop and manage our knowledge-management precedent systems and databases;
- To develop and manage M. G. Michaels & Associates’ business and operations;
- To detect and protect M. G. Michaels & Associates and other third parties against error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, theft and other illegal activity, and to audit compliance with M. G. Michaels & Associates policies and contractual obligations;
- To engage in business transactions, including the purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, securitization or financing involving M. G. Michaels & Associates;
- As permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements or provisions; and
- For any other purpose to which you consent.
To Whom Do We Disclose Your Personal Information?
From time to time, M. G. Michaels & Associates may disclose your Personal Information to:
- Service providers, including an organization or individual retained by M. G. Michaels & Associates to perform functions on its behalf, such as marketing, data processing, document management and office services;
- An organization or individual retained by M. G. Michaels & Associates to evaluate your creditworthiness or to collect debts outstanding on an account;
- A financial institution, on a confidential basis and solely in connection with the assignment of a right to receive payment, the provision of security or other financing arrangements; or
- A person who, in the reasonable judgment of M. G. Michaels & Associates, is providing or seeking the information as your agent;
- To our insurers and to regulatory agencies such as provincial law societies, insurers or others in connection with regulatory or other activities relating to the obligations of M. G. Michaels & Associates and its practice of the profession of law; and
- Any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law.
Where do We Store Your Personal Information?
Your Personal Information is stored in secured locations and on servers controlled by M. G. Michaels & Associates, located either at our offices or at the offices of our service providers.
How May You Obtain Access To Your Personal Information?
Upon your written request, subject to certain exceptions, M. G. Michaels & Associates will inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of your Personal Information and will give you access to that information. Access requests should be sent to the contact information below.
How Do We Protect Your Personal Information?
To help protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, M. G. Michaels & Associates employs administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information. Where Personal Information is sent to a third party for processing we ensure, through our contacts with them, that all Personal Information is kept secure. We operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems.
Privacy and Our Website
Cookies – When an individual visitor accesses the M. G. Michaels & Associates website, we may use a browser feature called a ‘cookie’ to collect information such as the type of Internet browser and operating system the visitor uses, the domain name of the website from which the visitor came, date and duration of the visit, number of visits, average time spent on our website, pages viewed and number of cookies accumulated.
A cookie is a small text file containing a unique identification number that identifies the visitor’s browser, but not necessarily the visitor, to our computers each time our website is visited.
Unless a visitor specifically informs us (i.e. by registering for an event or sending us correspondence from the website), we will not know who the individual visitors are.
Visitors can reset their browsers either to notify them when they have received a cookie or refuse to accept cookies. However, if a visitor refuses to accept cookies, he or she may not be able to use some of the features available on our website.
Online Communications – In order to provide our website visitors with a service or information, visitors may voluntarily submit Personal Information to us for purposes such as asking a question, obtaining information, reviewing or downloading a publication or blog, subscribing to a newsletter or a mail or e-mail list and participating in contests and surveys.
If you are known to M. G. Michaels & Associates as a registered user of an online service, we may combine and store Personal Information about your use of our website and the online information you have provided with certain other online and offline information we may have collected.
E-mail Communications – Occasionally, we may send marketing or promotional e-mail communications to you with information that may be useful, including information about the services of M. G. Michaels & Associates and other third parties with whom we have a relationship.
In this process, we may collect certain information such as the date/time you first opened our e-mail communications, the number of times you open our e-mail communications, the number of click-throughs per article, total click-through activity on the contents of our e-mail communications and compile generally the related statistics.
We may combine and store any such information to manage and improve our e-mail communications to you. We will include instructions on how to unsubscribe and inform us of preferences if you decide you do not want to receive any future marketing or promotional e-mails from M. G. Michaels & Associates.
Links – Our website may contain links to other websites which are provided as a convenience only. Visitors are advised that other Third Party websites may have different privacy policies and practices than M. G. Michaels & Associates, and M. G. Michaels & Associates has no responsibility for such Third Party websites.
However, M. G. Michaels & Associates will obtain the necessary consents required under applicable privacy laws if it seeks to collect, use or disclose your Personal Information for purposes other than those to which consent has been obtained unless otherwise required or permitted by law.
For information on M. G. Michaels & Associates privacy practices, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org